KLIA Downtown Char Siew Wantan Mee

FDowntown This shop has been on my radar for many years. I have been using this particular taxi to go to the airport for about 10 years since the opening of KLIA. Nice gentleman. Punctual and excellent service. He has tried to get me to this particular chaw siew wantan mee shop for many years. Used to rave about it. But I do not have any time to spare. This time round after sending my wife to the airport I took the opportunity.

How do we get the perfect char siew? The right cut and right size pig. So that the meat will come out moist and tender. Fat should be firm yet not oily and must melt in the mouth. The caramelized crust should not be too burnt, thick and sweet. This will allow the natural taste of the meat and the fat to surface.

This shop may have the loin strips steamed first to get the right tenderness. My reason is the the char siew's lean meat and fat looks so natural. The second step may be caramelizing it. I don't think it is boiled as it would lose it natural taste, texture and colour.

I ordered char siew and siew yuk wantan noodles to test the waters. The char siew is so good that I ordered an extra serving. Total price: RM10.80.Directions:
After the KLIA toll take the left turn-off to LCCT. The mosque should be on your left. At the roundabout take the 3 o'clock turn (if you are coming from LCCT, at this roundabout turn 9 o'clock). The road will take you another roundabout. You will see Caltex at the roundabout's 10 o'clock. Turn 9 o'clock. You will see an overhead signboard "Downtown KLIA". Go right in and the road will curve right. Again the road will curve right. The shop is on your right. You will see many taxis nearby. The personnel are most likely enjoying their char siew wantan mee.

Comments

Selba said…
The char siew looks so delicious *slurp*
ling239 said…
the char siew is so fatty.... can melt in the mouth? :p
worldwindows said…
Selba... The best I have eaten for a long time. Some have tough meat while others tend to overdosage on the sauce that drips and runs.

ling239... Just an exaggeration. Melts in the mouth to me: It feels soft to bite without lard flying around the palate. As for the meat it is tender, breaks easy when chewed.
Babe_KL said…
the char siu glistened! yums
Allie said…
I luv char siew but how come your char siew looks a bit different from what I usually have?
worldwindows said…
b_kl... Nice big thin diagonally slices. I will make a regular stops there.

allie... Possibly a few differences 1) Light on sauces, less messed up look 2) The caramelized crust is thin and even. 3) Good balanced maintained between the 'caramel' and the meat. Meat not overwhelmed.
omg..look at that cut of meat..so fatty hor..sure melt in ur mouth man!
Kenny Mah said…
I may try this on my way back from Kedah tmrw! Very the fatty and melt in the mouth...
J2Kfm said…
oh and the other day I was wondering what's Downtown KLIA, such cool name with mere mamak stalls.

FAT char siew those ....
Precious Pea said…
Next time can have wantan mee here before catching a flight hor? Good find!!
worldwindows said…
Joe... Yes siree sure to melt in the mouth...

LfB... Fatty meat done the right way is delicious :-)

J2fm... More than 10 rows of single storied shops, kind of like a place for general workers that support the running and maintenance of the airport. There is a popular stopover for tourist buses for them to have a meal before going into the city.

PP... Be sure to allocate some unhurried time to enjoy.
it must a kind of special great discovery to be able to come to this off centre place !
worldwindows said…
Feel like a journalistic scoop? No not there yet. It's better to wave to the mountain than to the molehill!
Anonymous said…
Do you mind to post up your 'private' taxi's contact number here? i has been trying to get an trustable taxi driver to fetch me from /to KLIA.
Anonymous said…
Do you mind to post up your 'private' taxi's contact number here? i has been trying to get an trustable taxi driver to fetch me from /to KLIA.
Unknown said…
Hi, may I know the opening hours of this place? I am a huge fan of wantan mee but unfortunately my flight comes in at a weird and awkward time.
Unknown said…
Hi, may I know the opening hours of this place? I am a huge fan of wantan mee. However my flight comes in at a weird and awkward time. Would love to be able to catch it after my flight
worldwindows said…
Try to be there before noon as the BBQ pork runs out fast. Opens from early morning to about 2-3 pm.

Popular Posts