Baked Salted Chicken - Homecooked

Cooking up a storm was off my plate for a long time. I don't do the full works anymore despite having some great cooking acreage in my kitchen. But then I do put in effort to pull one or two surprises esp. for my son who is now enjoying his school holidays.

Over one rainy afternoon, hitting balls off the driving range, my partner suggested a simple recipe for "Baked Salted Chicken". His oral instruction was: Rubbed salt on the chicken and let it stand for a while and then put it into a preheated oven at 180 degree Celcius for 45 minutes. I found out an hour will do the job better as mine was a micro-oven. After two tries and getting better than average results, it is good enough for me to post it.

Baked Salted Chicken


1) Rub generous amount of salt (I use quality sea salt) onto the surface of the chicken thoroughly. Then sprinkle black pepper and mixed herbs on it. Let it stand for an hour or so. Then use kitchen towels to wipe the salt from the chicken's surface. On my 2nd baking run I rubbed peanut oil on to the chicken skin. This will get a nice slightly brown skin effect.The skin tasted good too.

2) In the meantime prepare a bed of bell pepper, garlic, onions, chili and mandarin pieces (or whatever you fancy) for the chicken to lie on. On my 2nd run I put in 2 big sliced onions, lots of garlic and small onions for the bed. Put all these onto a cast iron griddle (or possible baking tray). Set the chicken on top. Sprinkle black pepper and mixed herbs again.

3) Pre-heat oven to 180 degree Celcius. Then set it to bake for an hour. Put the griddle in. Let it rest for a while after cooking before digging in.

4) Both times the chicken meat came off the oven tender and flavourful.
The Bed
My 1st Cooking Run

The 2nd Run

Comments

Kenny Mah said…
This looks sooo good, and home-cooked too! I need to start making use of my oven too! :)

Popular Posts