Pressure-cooked Pork Belly - Homecooking

Bought a cookbook from Yangon airport at USD60 and was wondering if its worth the money and the time try the recipes. It is by Tin Cho Chaw and the book is eentitled Hsa Ba or simple "Please eat!"She won an award for this book. Flipped through most of the pages and I wondered if China in the north and India in the west have influenced Myanmar cuisine in a large scale? Noticed many Indian and Chinese influenced recipes or very similar ones.

Tried a dish I had fail one time too many, Braised Pork Belly. The recipe in this book seems simple enough. It did not disappoint. Came out delicious and the instruction is so simple.

Cooked it twice as my wife do not want too much sugar was suggested in the book i.e. 3 teaspoons for 300gm of pork. I find the caramelisation very nice and the taste was good. But alas I have to cook for two. So in my 2nd round I go for 1/2 teaspoon for 600gm of pork a reduction of 88%. I did not achieved very strong caramelisation but the thick soy sauce did the job well enough for me to get the desired dark brown final product.

Ingredients:
600gm Pork Belly
1/2 tsp sugar (instead of the suggested 4 tsp)
6 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
10 cloves garlic peeled an left whole
15 slices of ginger

Marination:
Cut up pork into big pieces (a couple of centimeters length). Add the sugar and 2 tablespoons of soy sauce. Mix thoroughly and leave for an hour or so.

Cooking: (author suggest a slow cook in the oven but I went for the pressure cooker as I will take 25  minutes compared to 2 hours in the oven)

Fry the marinated pork in a pan with 2 tablespoons of peanut oil until it the pork is browned on its surface. Transfer to the pressure cooker. Add the rest of the 4 tablespoon of soy sauce and 2 tablespoons of dark soy sauce and the garlic cloves to the pressure cooker. Add a few tablespoons of water. Set the pressure cooker to 25-30 minutes and you get tender meat and soft rind.

Second round with much less sugar and lard pieces just pure pork belly.
First round with lots of lard included
Marination
The cookbook



Comments

Popular Posts