Bebek Goreng - Yogyakarta, Jalan Gejayan

Local Indonesian ducks deep-fried to an incredible crispy and aromatic finger-licking goodness.

It was the worst of times again for Yogyakarta. Coming in on the back of the 2006 earthquake, I wonder what will the Merapi eruption do to the psyche of this city and its vicinity. Already hotels are badly hit. Mine was run by a skeletal staff. The rest were told to take a month off.

Despite the severe difficulties, the people still have the time to laugh and talk. I was almost at home when I found myself amidst rolling "rrrrs" and a genteel people. Yes, the locals here are really soft-spoken. My first trip to Malioboro in 2006 was quite something. Buying stuff was a pleasant experience. No hassling and hustling.

After the work rounds and appetite whetted we headed for Jlalan Gejayan for lunch at H. Slamet Bebek Goreng (deep-fried duck). These ducks comes in small sizes almost like the ubiquitous spring chicken.



Some feathers remained. Pull it out and enjoyed the crispy skin.
Sambel Korek. Chilies cooked in oil. "Korek" means to dig it up. This is not a dipping sauce but one that we are supposed to dig up the chilies with the meat. Caution - extremely hot.
Customary cucumber and singkong (tapioca leaves).

Comments

Anonymous said…
Awesome post. Really enjoyed reading your blog posts.
Anonymous said…
Thank you for posting this, it was quite helpful and told a lot
Anonymous said…
Hey very nice blog!! Man .. Beautiful .. Amazing .. I will bookmark your blog and take the feeds also….
Anonymous said…
Finally, got what I was looking for!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it. Glad I stumbled into this article! smile I have you saved to check out new stuff you post.

Popular Posts