Indonesian Chinese Tai Chow Seafood

Chinese in Indonesia have their own vocabulary when speaking to one another. Pronouns like "Guo" and "Guok" were used to address one another. Hokkien words and numbers are also liberally added even though they can't converse in Hokkien. The exception may be the Medanese. Hear them talk and try to pick up the Hokkien terms!

I do eat at Chinatown and like their seafood 'Tai Chow'. Though mostly one-notch below that in Malaysia in taste and sophistication they more than make up the gap by their fresher seafood. This current shop moved out from Chinatown after the owner had a dispute with the in-laws. You can spot actors, actresses and producers in their old premise. They re-opened recently, albeit a year later in less prestigious address.
Condiments and sauces.
Raw Mango chili sauce!
Extremely fresh and sweet fish fillet in claypot. The soup was quite salty. No complains as I have plenty of rice to go with it.
Deep-fried Red Snapper. I thought it was such a waste as it was so fresh that its eyes were so bright and and clear! I did asked them to steam it but there was no such style on offer in the menu:-(This Bawal Hitam (Black Pomfret) was done just right and its meat was succulent. I even made a meal out of their fins. Yum!The Sotong (Calamari) was the best I had in a long time. So sweet, tasty and tender. Its liked those just brought in from the sea. Calamari in Malaysia are either leathery or bland. And worse if both decide to pair up.French Beans with shrimps.Kangkong with garlic.

Comments

Anonymous said…
notice they like to fry their fishes ya....from most of your post on Indo's food!
worldwindows said…
Yes that's correct. I did have steamed fish before but its not as good as I expected it to be. I thought the sauce was so-so.
The dishes do look slightly familiar but seem a multi-cross between Thai/Chinese/Vietnamese/Malay !
minchow said…
Love fried fish like the next person but agree, fresh fish should be consumed steamed!! Hmm wonder why the calamari superiority across the straits... must google this up!
Rebecca Saw said…
Not bad I must say, for a chinese tai chow!
Seems tht their seafood is better here??
A friend told me, even tho we r surrounded by the sea..we export our fishes etc & import frm elsewhr (thai mostly..) so we end up with frozen fishes most of the time.. Huh??
hApPy happY said…
How's the taste especially the veggie..
J2Kfm said…
Interesting. I never knew bout the abundance of Chinese in Medan, until I recently got to know a friend from there.
Fried bawal looks crispy, and perfect with sambal dipping.
Ciki said…
one notch below msia eh.. but still looks pretty good!
Little Inbox said…
Black Pomfret always have fishy smell, this is an exception?
Selba said…
"Guo" and "Guok"? I'm a Chinese Indonesian but I'm not familiar at all with that vocabulary. Interesting.... :)

Yeah, we used limited hokkien words, especially for numbers, even the indigenous are using it but I think our pronunciation are a bit different because of our accent. Like when we said 100 = cepe, 1000 = cejeng, 10.000 = ceban.
worldwindows said…
BSG... More Malay/Chinese.

Faith... Probably calamari just landed fresh from fisherman's boat. I ate similar excellent ones in Pattaya and Chaam (south Thai) beaches.

TNG... Seafood from deep-sea fishermen are lower quality as it is frozen.

HH... Taste good with chili sauce.

J2Kfm... For chili lovers!

CampC... Wish they are more adventurous.

LI... Yes no fishy smell and super fresh.

Selba... Meaning - 1) me 2) Younger person addressing older man. Those numbers are in Hokkien.
Big Boys Oven said…
looks very home cooking, must be awesome!
Selba said…
Oh.... hahaha... ok, ok.. got it! I think the spelling makes it sounds different. Yes, to address I/me in informal conversation, we usually use "gua" or the batavian (jakarta people) say "gue" and to say "you" we say "elu" or "elo".

As for addressing older people usually we use "engko", "kok", "encek" for male and "enci" for female. :)
worldwindows said…
BBO... Yes, its very homely place thus = homecooked:-)

Selba... Wonderful heritage is it? Wonder how is the 2nd and 3rd generation doing?

Popular Posts