Sabah Keratang, Ara Damansara, PJ

Fish lovers got to try the Giant Grouper here at least once. Prolific in the eastern shores of Sabah, these fish do not come easy and often. Even Sabahans got to wait for the occasional huge and wild ones. This restaurant has tried to bring this particular species to KL.






Having eaten it quite a few times in Sabah, esp at Tung Fong, Inanam, Sabah, where their seafood and fish noodles have achieved legendary status, this particular shop excited me. Can't forget Tung Fong's fish head, fish lips and fish fillet with noodles.

I went over there twice at lunchtime and the crowd was there. Get there before lunch before the hordes come in. Is the food as good as Tung Fong? How was the broth? Is the fish fishy (hard question to answer)?

The two things I liked were the Keratang skin. Thick, luscious and crunchy. A desirable part of the fish. Collagen abundant and texture-wise, hard to find this as most fish either have soft skin or tough skin. Not crunchy and tight. The fillet came thick and dense. By examining the pectoral fins, the fish was large. Love the texture too, the meat felt solid and it was a great chew and that meant the taste was not lost but fully explored at the taste buds.

I did not get the best from the head. Too bony as I would like parts with meat and skin. I do hope the shop will freely and randomly distribute the various portions into the bowls.

The soup was a tad salty and felt thirsty after the meal. Also, the soup has a slight fishy smell. A bit too much for me. It may be in the cleaning, processing or storage.

Overall, still an exciting restaurant in my area that I can go at leisure every time I am hit with the giant grouper bug.

Address:
Sabah Keratang KL
Ground Floor, No. 8, Jalan PJU 1a/20a, Dataran Ara Damansara, Petaling Jaya
019-809 6373
https://maps.app.goo.gl/hTXG1wqR7PhjDypa7

Comments

Popular Posts