Yin Ker Lou (Hakka Cuisine) - Citta Mall Ara Damansara

Of Central Kitchen and Old Chefs

A talk with the captain can be englightening. YKL Citta Mall has become a central kitchen and they have 2 very experienced chefs of 30 years that can do culinary wonders.


I ate quite some Hakka dishes in Taiwan Kaohsiung's outskirts. They were good, and unplugged. Lots of lard, big fire, big bowls and local ingredients harvested from the farms.

How does YKL measured up? I was disappointed a few months ago when I was there for a quick dim sum. Frankly, it was not up to mark. But off course dim sum is not their signature offering.

With the new narratives of central kitchen and old chefs, I am sold and will definitely try the dim sum again. In the meantime, I ordered some typical Hakka dishes this round.

The yam abacus was springy, stretchy and bouncy. But really, I wanted to smell the yam. Was it there? Yes. Then the full complement of the savoury bits and items like dried shrimps, mushrooms, minced meat and wood fungus. All very much part of this savoury dish. If it is there I am happy. It was good enough for me. I especially like it fried dry. I kind of associate food fired dried (exclude meat) with better taste as the sauces will be sticking on to the surfaces of the food and not the plate. It also heightens the taste.

The Hakka pork belly with red fermented beans need to be wet and a bit sloppy as the sauces go well with the rice. But anyhow, the opposite here, braised food should have sauces at the bottom of the plate or bowl. I was looking for the hint of red feemented beans and was not disappointed. Together with the wood ears again, it was a good eat.

Finally, the Hakka Stir Fried Vegetables. Well I thought I saw preserved vegetables. And this is a good alternative to the spicy 4 Heavenly king. Savoury again, I like savoury, not some sticky caramelised dish, the wok hei (breath of the wok) was pervasive and was a welcome to the nostrils. Sometimes, we need to rediscover our local heritage and add variety to our meals. This is one of them.

Address:
Ying Ker Lou (Citta Mall)
Petaling Jaya, Selangor
03-7859 0138
https://maps.app.goo.gl/R3z9eA3Pc9g867XdA

Comments

Popular Posts