Soto Betawi and Sup Buntut @ Menara Peninsula Hotel - Indonesia

Menara Peninsula Hotel. Took a breather outside and allow the rain spray to refresh me. It was enjoyable as we have no rain in KL for a while. I was told again and again by my local partner to use Blue Bird Taxi for a safe ride! This is a Silver Bird.

I was feeling a bit under the weather as I arrived in Jakarta. Slept on the plane but woke up more tired. There was no luxury of checking in as we were whisked away for work. Check-in was after 8:30pm. But the Menara Peninsula Hotel is a nice place to stay. 20 mins from the airport on Sunday and about 40mins working days which is relatively fast compare to the infamous Jakarta traffic jam locally known as 'macet'.

The hope of having a nice Indonesian dinner kept me going. I have the famous Sup Buntut (Ox-tail) for dinner and Soto Betawi (Rice with spice soup) for breakfast. The Sup Buntut will always be a hit with Malaysians as we have to stomach those not so tasty efforts at Mamak stalls and tough and low-quality meat elsewhere. I remember an Malaysian Indian lady travelling in our group last year insisting on having Sup Buntut for each meal.

Rice with Emping Crackers. Taste slightly bitter (acquired taste?) and sweet. I like this to accompanied my meals in Indonesia.
Tender meat from ox-tail. Detached from the bone at the slightest nudge of my fork. Aromatic spices. Piping hot. But a bit oily. Kitchen should have cleared some of the oil before serving. Like having a warm home-cokked bowl of chicken soup!Soto Betawi (Betawians are from West Java). A bit watery for my liking. Should go heavier with the spices. Beef, innards, deep-fried tapioca pieces and tomatoes. But still a good breakfast before going out.

Comments

Anonymous said…
rice that is slightly bitter and sweet? so special? cook in spices??
worldwindows said…
Not rice but the emping: made from melinjo beans. The cracker is slightly bitter and sweet and is an acquired taste. Usually come with Sundanese food if not mistaken. the spices is poured over the rice. Something like our lontong.
Unknown said…
did any shopping in jakarta? :D
foodbin said…
quite a special heavy breakfast!
Ciki said…
Wow.. Lucky u .. Get 2enjoy indonesianfood... ! U shld look selba up;)
choi yen said…
bitter taste cracker? Eee..... :(
worldwindows said…
WZ... No shopping lah as it was a quick 2 nighter. But did shop at the airport for Pekan Baru dodol and fish fritters.

FB... Actually it was dinner and light breakfast. Usually I am bad at B/F even complimentary buffet.

CampC... I hope to get a more rounded taste authentic Ambonese and Sulawesian food soon. Too sort a trip to do anything.

MD... Empin...you should try, I like its off-beat non-fish and prawn flavoured taste. Just 100% beans.
J2Kfm said…
oh wait, oxtail's sup buntut? hahah ... sounds kinda obscene though.
worldwindows said…
Yeah, most Malaysians have a good laugh, then a good eat!
Unknown said…
I made my own sup buntut, will post it later. There are slightly different changes of sup buntut, depending on who cooks. I make my own broth from the tail itself, pretty thick and very nice flavour if it's really a homemade one. I hope you enjoyed your trip :)

Popular Posts